Retail Health and Safety
Retail health and safety touches on all incidents that could take place in servicing the energy supply in consumers’ homes. This work is led by our Retail Health and Safety Forum analyses trends in order to identify opportunities to raise standards, both across the membership and across industry.
Our aim is by bringing together the expertise of our membership we enable good practice to be developed and promulgated. Energy UK and our members believe that H&S is not a commercial advantage and hope our work can be adopted by members and non-members alike.
As a part of our work we regularly publish guidance to assist suppliers with raising their health and safety standards, whether that is advising strategic issues or getting best practice to frontline staff.
Our management presentations look to assist with bringing health and safety to the heart of strategy in organisations of all sizes. They reflect issues raised by the retail H&S committee as well as stakeholders across the Energy landscape.
- A guide for suppliers on managing 3rd party contractors health and safety.
- Energy UK’s RHSF members have worked together to create this helpful list of what should be reported under the current ESQCR regulations
- A review of supplier risk assessments in relation to ‘Metering’ and ‘Revenue Protection’
- Guidance on safe working and isolation of micro-generation equipment while exchanging supplier metering equipment
These presentations are designed to assist supervisors in introducing and reinforcing topics with their workforces
Supplier Health and Safety initiatives:
As well as working together through the Retail Health and Safety Forum, Energy UK members have developed initiatives individually that they are happy to share with industry to drive health and safety improvements. We invite suppliers to use these initiatives to support their own activity
- Missing washers: EDF Energy have worked with Cadent to develop a short video that can be sent to meter installers in the field to remind them of the importance of following the correct procedures for the installation of washers on gas meters. Watch the video
- Pipe cleaning and soldering: EDF Energy in conjunction with Cadent have produced a short video that can be sent to meter installers to remind them of the necessary steps to undertake when preparing pipework and fittings for soldering.
Watch the video
- Unbunged ports and exposed copper: EDF Energy have developed a short video which can be sent to meter installers to remind them of the necessary steps to undertake in relation to bunging exposed ports and ensuring there is no exposed copper wire. Watch the video
Loose connections: EDF Energy have developed a short video which can be sent to meter installers to remind them of the necessary steps to undertake to avoid leaving loose cable connections when installing meters. Watch the video
Working alongside our members, we have documented many of the initiatives our members have implemented to further improve safety during electricity and gas meter installation activity. These initiatives can be found in the following documents. As new initiatives are implemented, we will update these documents accordingly
Retail Health and Safety Forum project summaries: